YURIY FEDKOVYCH CHERNIVTSI NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
YURIY FEDKOVYCH CHERNIVTSI NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
Yurii Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University is a public university in the City of Chernivtsi in Western Ukraine. One of the leading Ukrainian institutions for higher education, it was founded in 1875 as the Franz-Josephs-Universität Czernowitz when Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) was the capital of the Duchy of Bukovina, a Cisleithanian crown land of Austria-Hungary. Today the university is based at the Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans building complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2011.
In 1775, the Austrian Habsburg Monarchy had obtained the territory of Bukovina, which from 1786 was administrated within the Chernivtsi district of Galicia. Under the rule of Emperor Joseph II, the sparsely populated territory was settled by German colonists, mainly from Swabia. Together with the Austrian administrative officials they formed a separate population group and by the late 19th century, several institutes of higher education arose with the German language of instruction, including Gymnasien in Chernivtsi and Suceava. As the graduates still had to leave Bukovina to study in the western parts of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the local administration developed plans to found an own university.
In 1866, the Austrian Empire had lost the war against Prussia ending the German Confederation, followed by the foundation of the German Empire in 1871. In turn, the Habsburg emperor Francis Joseph I concentrated on strength and displays of power in his eastern crown lands. Plans for a Germanophone university were modelled on the 1872 establishment of the Straßburg Kaiser-Wilhelms-Universität, named after German Emperor William I, in annexed Alsace-Lorraine.
After the Lviv University had declared Polish teaching language in 1871, a Bukovina committee led by the jurist and liberal politician Constantin Tomashchuk (1840–1889), a member of the Imperial Council, called for the foundation of a German college in multilingual Czernowitz about 740 kilometres (460 mi) "beyond" Vienna. In 1874 they addressed a petition to the Austrian Minister of Education Karl von Stremayr, on whose proposal Emperor Francis Joseph finally resolved upon the establishment of a university, decided on by the two houses of the Imperial Council on 13 and 20 March 1875. Other cities applying for the creation of a college, such as Trieste, Olomouc, Brno, Ljubljana or Salzburg, were left empty-handed.
One hundred years after the affiliation of Bukovina to the Austrian monarchy, the Franz-Josephs-Universität was inaugurated on 4 October 1875 (the name day of the emperor) on the basis of the Czernowitz Higher Theological School and Constantin Tomashchuk was appointed its first rector. Originally, the main language of instruction was German with separate departments for Ukrainian and Romanian and literature. German was the primary language even though the region it was located in, Bukovina, was not German-speaking, and other Austro-Hungarian universities outside of German-speaking areas were shifting away from German-medium teaching. During the period of Austro-Hungarian rule the university operated three faculties: Greek Orthodox theology (the only one in Central Europe), jurisprudence and philosophy. To pursue the study of medicine, the Bukovina graduates still had to go to Lviv or to the Jagiellonian University in Kraków.
Though the general language of instruction was German, professorships on Romanian and Ruthenian language were also established. At the time of Austro-Hungarian rule, the majority of the Czernowitz students were Jewish and German Austrians, while Ukrainians and Romanians comprised for about 20%–25% of the student body. At times, there were more than 40 German, Ukrainian, Romanian, Polish, Jewish, and Catholic fraternities (Studentenverbindungen) in the city, reflecting its lingual and religious diversity.
In World War I, Czernowitz on the Eastern Front was embattled by Austro-Hungarian and Imperial Russian forces, severely affecting the university. Nevertheless, plans for a relocation to Salzburg in the west met with protests by academics like Eugen Ehrlich and Joseph Schumpeter. In June 1918 teaching activities were resumed upon the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk with Soviet Russia.
Universitatea Regele Carol I
After the dissolution of Austria-Hungary in 1918, Bukovina became part of the Kingdom of Romania and the university was renamed Universitatea Regele Carol I din Cernăuţi. The current building of the university dates from 1920–22, and was commissioned by the Romanian government. From 1919 to 1940 the university was largely Romanized; the Ukrainian department was abolished, Ukrainian professors were dismissed and instruction was fully switched to Romanian. In 1933, of 3,247 students, there were 2,117 Romanians, 679 Jews, 199 Germans, 155 Ukrainians (decreasing from 239 out of 1671 students in 1920), 57 Poles, 26 Russians and 4 of other nationalities. Ion Nistor, a prominent Romanian historian and one of the most vocal proponents of Greater Romanian nationalism was the university rector for many years.
Chernivtsi State University
Upon the 1940 Soviet takeover of northern Bukovina, the territory was attached to the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic and the primary language in the university was switched to Ukrainian. The university, renamed Chernivtsi State University, was significantly expanded and reorganized. Teaching of science was greatly increased and the theological department was dissolved and then reopened in 1996. In 1989 the university was named to honor Yurii Fedkovych, a prominent Ukrainian writer, a native of Bukovina. In the Soviet years, the number of Romanian students at the university declined sharply. In 1991–92, the last year of Soviet rule, the number of Romanian students was only 4.44% (434 out of 9,769). Among teaching faculty, the breakdown by nationalities is as follows: Ukrainian teachers 465 (77.1%), Russians 102 (16.9%), Moldovans 9 (1.4%), Romanians 7 (1.1%), Belarusians 6 (0.9%), etc.
Yurii Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University
Since 2000, when the university was awarded National status, it operates under its current name, Yurii Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University.
By decision of Session of Council of European University Association, held in Brussels on 15 January 2009, Yuri Fedkovich Chernivtsi National University was granted a full individual membership in European University Association.
Campuses and buildings
Yurii Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University consists of 17 buildings, with the total amount of 105 units. The total area is 110.8 thousand square meters, including training buildings - 66 square meters.
The architectural ensemble of the main campus of the university, the Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans is included on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Today there are 2 institutes which operates at the University: the Institute of Biology, Chemistry and Bioresources and the Institute of Physical-Technical and Computer Sciences, 11 faculties: geography, economics, foreign languages, history, political science and international relations, architecture, construction and applied arts, pedagogy, psychology and social work, mathematics and informatics, philology, philosophical-theological faculty of physical culture and human health, law; college. There is a military training department.
The training of almost 20 thousand students is carried out in 54 areas, 69 specialties. There are 87 departments.
Educational process and scientific work are provided by 1200 teachers: from them 130 doctors of sciences, professors, more than 700 candidates of sciences, associate professors; 15 academicians of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine and the Academy of Sciences of the Higher School of Ukraine; 5 laureates of State Prizes; 39 - marked by state awards.
There are postgraduate and doctoral programs at the University, 11 specialized councils for defense of candidate and doctoral dissertations. Main directions of scientific researches: theoretical and applied researches of semiconductor material science; development of new technologies, materials, microchips and devices for opto-, radio- and microelectronics, semiconductor instrumentation; static optics, holography; modular training technologies, innovative technologies in business and education, problems of creative self-realization of personality; environmental protection; ecology; geography; history of Ukraine international relations, politology, problems of language and literature, jurisprudence, etc. Over 15 scientific schools work in these areas.
At the University there are: the center of the Bukovina Studies, the Center for Canadian Studies named after Ramon Hnatyshyn, the Center for American Studies, the Center for German-language Studies "Gedankendach", the Center for Euro-Atlantic Integration and Security, the Center for Bohemian Studies, the Center for Comparative Romanian Philology named after G. Bostan, the Center for Slavic Studies, the Center for Judaism; Historical and Cultural Center, Creative Youth Club "Contact".
The University has 14 educational buildings, 7 dormitories, sport complex, experimental farm, botanical garden, zoological, geological and ethnographic museums, «Ruta» publishing house, library with a book fund of almost 3 million copies. There is a student newspaper "Newformati" which is constantly publishing.
Along with the university, there is a well-planned scenic dendrological park, which is rich of rare species of plants.
LEVELS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
FORMS OF EDUCATION
LANGUAGES OF EDUCATION
TERMS OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Bachelor, Master, Doctor of Science, Ph.D.
Full-time, part-time, distant education.
Ukrainian, Russian, English.
The university holds an admission company twice a year.
Deadlines for submission of applications and documents:
From July 1 to November 1 - the beginning of the fall semester;
From January 1 to March 1 - the beginning of the winter semester.
Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University provides a variety of housing options to students. It has 7 dormitories, home to about 3600 students.
Each residential complex has everything for a safe and comfortable stay of the students:
day-and-night security of the territory and each floor;
cafe and buffet;
modern sports complex;
disco hall with audio-video equipment;
The cost of living in the dormitories is not included in the tuition fee and is paid by students according to the rates set for the current academic year.
Those students who love sports can spend their free time in sports sections and participate in various sports competitions.
APPLIED-PHYSICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCES
BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND BIORESOURCES
HISTORY, POLITICAL SCIENCE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
ARCHITECTURE, BUILDING AND ORNAMENTAL-APPLIED ART
PEDAGOGY, PSYCHOLOGY AND SOCIAL WORK
MATHEMATICS AND INFORMATICS
PHYSICAL CULTURE AND HUMAN HEALTH
PHILOSOPHY AND THEOLOGY
FINANCES, BISINESS AND ACCOUNTING
YURIY FEDKOVYCH CHERNIVTSI NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
CARRIES OUT PREPARATION OF APPLICANTS IN THE FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS
FOUNDATION PROGRAM (PREPARATION COURSE)
Foreigners who do not speak the language of study (Ukrainian or English) are admitted to the Preparatory Department for the period of one year.
Foreigners study the Ukrainian language, the history of Ukraine, mathematics, physics, computer science, biology and other educational disciplines depending upon the chosen direction. After completion of the academic year, final tests are to be passed by students to be admoitted by different universities of Ukraine.
Tuition fees (per year) for foreign students.
Form of education: full time.
LIST OF THE SPECIALTIES FOR ADMISSION IN STUDIES AT THE BACHELOR PROGRAM/MASTER PROGRAM
SPECIALITIES AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMES